Your Life is not a Dress Rehearsal...

...So go out and live it! This blog exists because I just couldn't stop talking, about things that matter, about things that have eternal value...about things that resonate...

Sunday, July 15, 2007

I Said I'd Never Own a Mini-Van

Yeah...well...

When the dear husband and I first married, I laughed, heartily, at any suggestion of a minivan in my future. It was a shocked, throw your head back, scoff indignantly..."I'm far too cool"...sort of response. I saw minivans as wholly too grounded, too common for the future I had in store.

Was it my mother who said..."Never say Never, Dear!"?

Today, as we await our final travel authorization to adopt the latest in our string of blessings, otherwise known as kids...we went vehicle "looking." I should add at this moment that I lost my minivan innocence about 8 years ago now. Truly, I loved my minivan. In a possessive, "you satisfy my every need" way. I had not only compromised from my staunch position of disdain for the minivan...I now cherished one.

But, as we await child number 7, the minivan is not sufficient. It leaves much to be desired. There's not enough room, not a big enough engine for the weight its pulling around and the children are growing in size and number!

So today, we began vehicle "looking" for the "mothership." Literally. The mothership...as I have come to know it ...is a 12 passenger, 1 ton, Maxivan. Nigh only one year ago the darling husband tried to get me to consider the Maxivan...but I laughed...strangely reminiscent of days gone by when discussing the minivan. But today...I am ready for the mothership...I sat in the captain's chair tonight gazing back over the 2,3 no 4 rows of seats and imagined just how many times I would curb those tires. I considered how I may have missed my calling as a public transit driver or a friendly school bus driver...now...I'm readying myself to pilot my very own mothership. Gone are any and all concerns about being "cool." Now I want all that space so I can silence the "She touched me!!!!" screams from the vehicle!

I think I'm falling in love again...

Need a ride?

1 Comments:

  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    Ohhh, I am still holding out on the no mini-van bandwagon .... desperately trying not to say NEVER, as I am certain it will immediately come back to haunt me!
    Where oh where will our two families park when we lunch together?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home