Your Life is not a Dress Rehearsal...

...So go out and live it! This blog exists because I just couldn't stop talking, about things that matter, about things that have eternal value...about things that resonate...

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Houston...we have a problem...

Something serious is happening.

I first noticed it about 10 months ago. I was concerned, but not alarmed. Things just weren't what they used to be. Subtle changes have become more substantial.

When did I need make-up? I mean, really need it? And, what is happening with this hair of mine? I used to like it...others commented about it...now most of the time, I could be a hair double for Medusa!

Today, I was just minding my own business, thinking random thoughts. Thoughts that I thought before my first gray hair. And I caught my image in the rear view mirror...I thought...who is that aging woman? It couldn't be me. It just couldn't be me because sometimes I still think I'm 16...that woman...Medusa's inspiration...that COULD NOT be me!

My face is registering time. I have lines that remain long after I smile...highlights that aren't blond... I've got issues at the edges of my eyes...I think my skin may be sliding.

When does my mind feel like my face looks?

Truth is, no one will ever mistake me for someone young again.

I think this is the point at which I'm supposed to feel proud of those lines, the gray hairs that continue to invade and the gravitationally compliant skin. When I was 16 or 22 or 29 did I know such joy as now?

And, as it appears inevitable that this face is going to show wear...I better get comfortable in it...I want to be happy in the skin I'll be wearing in 10, 20, 50 years.

My grandma. She lived life and it showed on the canvas of her skin. She always smelled flowery, of Dove soap. A real lady. Spunky, feisty and so independent. She lived a long life...and finally grew into the story of her skin.

Now that's what I'm talking about...

2 Comments:

  • At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amen.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    From someone who used to know you when you were Mandie, boy can I relate. Just the other day I began to think that I was going to have to "even out my skin tone" I have no idea what that means, but they always say it on "What Not to Wear" And since I have taken their advice on wearing jeans with a "solid wash" and "drawing attention to the narrowest part of my waist" and even occasionally wearing a shoe with a little heel!!! Maybe I should "even it out" But wait...Wasn't that a song from when we were kids?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home