Your Life is not a Dress Rehearsal...

...So go out and live it! This blog exists because I just couldn't stop talking, about things that matter, about things that have eternal value...about things that resonate...

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Mommy...Are we in trouble?

A simple enough question. My response? A firm, "Be quiet." Textbook parenting.

Things are a little crazy. Nevermind that I've left the radio, my husband is doing relief work in India and we've had weather usually relegated to the Yukon...I've got car trouble!

Cars...for me, definitely a love/hate relationship. When I first got rolling in my 1980 Grey Nissan Sentra in 1985, life was good. I could load an unbelievable number of bodies in that little tin can and I was cool. Fast forward 20 (ouch!) years, I'm rolling in a 1997 Raspberry Ice Suburban. Really rollin'. My mom calls it the "Estrogen Express" given the gender make-up of the passengers.

I love the big rig in the Yukon style weather. But, we've developed a few snags in the operation. You see, the defroster fan...well, it's not working. I think its the switch to turn it on that needs attention, but whatever it is, the net result is fogged windows or an icing windshield.

Last night after being coddled by some friends who had us over for dinner, we loaded up for the trip "over the river and through the woods." Imagine my surprise to add to the list of issues the big rig is facing that now the windshield wipers were making a moaning, painful, burning sort of sound and were not 'windshield wiping' as they are supposed to do. So, I've got a car, loaded with heavy-breathing girlies, no defroster fan and now the windshield wipers sound like a cow in labor!

At every intersection, I would stop, manually force the wipers to make a pass across the windshield then get in and get moving on any lightly traveled road I could. Lightly traveled because, an unfortunate by product of rain drops on the windshield and fogged windows, is total lack of visibility if one meets an oncoming car's lights.

So we made it home at 15 MPH. With the occasional "Mommy, are we in trouble?" or the rise and fall of the sound of extemporaneous songs, shrieking and altercations in the back....

I'm not nearly as plucky as I fancy myself to be...

6 Comments:

  • At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Times like that can be scary! Especially with a car full of people at night. Praise the Lord you made it home safely, slowly but safely. All you can really do now is laugh...and call the repair shop! :)

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have had days like that! My defroster was just fixed by my nephew. I doesn't cost much. Take it to Northwest Automotive on Bakerview. It can be flat dangerous to drive without it!

    I am hoping for a response to an e-mail I sent you about the orphanage. I know you are busy, but if you get a chance :)

    The show yesterday was kinda dumb. Not interesting, immature. Maybe it will grow on us?

    Have a great day!!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my! SO happy you made it home safely!
    Keep smiling!

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It comes in threes....after the house flooded on the 1st floor, the insurance man fell on the broken front steps, we asked, "what else could go wrong?" As I tried to pour a glass of water from the kitchen faucet, You guessed the third event, the water did not come out into the glass. We had to dig a new well (we tried to ignore the sulphur smell). Yet, these are the times recalled as happiest by loving kids years later. Pendy.....

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The mechanic is bound to find, one more thing wrong....it comes in threes. Our third house trauma came when we asked, what else could go wrong? We tried to get a glass of water and of course the faucet would not pour. The new well we had to dig smelled like sulphur, but we ignored that as just a minor inconvenience. Your kids remembering your slow drive home years from now, may lovingly describe mechanical and slowdriving setbacks as the happiest days of their lives....too.

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All I could do when reading this was laugh. It takes a mother to know a mother. But I agree with some of the other people, that these are the good times.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home