Your Life is not a Dress Rehearsal...

...So go out and live it! This blog exists because I just couldn't stop talking, about things that matter, about things that have eternal value...about things that resonate...

Sunday, January 28, 2007

"Self-Check Out"

I have hated them.

I hate the new "Self Check Out" stands cropping up at my area grocery stores and retailers.

At first, I was enticed. Some of us, I think, have a little curiosity as to the mysterious role of the checker at the market. It's facinating to hear the beeps, marvel at the bar codes and to wonder if you had to; could you beat your checker in a check-out race?

These things should be outlawed.

First of all, due to the world in which we live, there is rightful concern on the part of the stores that someone will take advantage of the system and try to steal from them. So the machines are hyper-sensitive and prone to flash the red light above your station indicating that an idiot is trying to check out. I've had more conversation with the "Self Check Out" attendants than any checker who did the work for me in the past.

Secondly they are an absolute magnet for kids...who like you, wonder all the above things about the mysterious role of grocery store checker. They cannot wait to be the one to scan the things by their barcodes, hear the beep and push buttons on the touchscreen to complete the transaction.

Everytime I've been lured to those blasted things, I've regretted it.

Today was no exception...

I was trying to check out with 3 items + 4 kids = the idiot alarm being sounded 4 times!

The scale is so sensitive, that any toddlers fingers can set off the light. The magic eye thingy that reads the barcode easily scans things twice when you're trying to break up some hand to hand combat between 2 year olds, again setting off the idiot alarm. Then, inevitably, something rings up incorrectly so I HAVE TO ASK FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE, to clear up the problem.

Everytime I've been lured...I've regretted it...everytime...

I'm swearing it off...no more self-check out...or else I'll likely be self checking IN to a mental institution!

7 Comments:

  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    Ugh. I loath them as well. I avoid them at all costs; ditto on those lovely *kid carts* that ultimately provide more frustration than any Mom should have to deal with when spending her hard earned cash.

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am glad I am not the only one! But then again I do not even like to bag my own groceries. As a mom I do enough I do not need to master the self checkout. And I agree with the other comment, do not even get me started on the "kid carts"

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Stinky Mouse said…

    If I'm alone and need a bottle of water, or a gallon of milk I'll use them. But with kids? NO WAY!!

    They are designed with lots of heavy user-interface software to communicate what to do next to the customer. The real clerks don't have any of that junk in their way - they just check the stuff out. The trick is trying to find a down time in the store to shop - unfortunately, I seem to be on the same schedule as everyone else. It's like when I'm stuck in traffic... Who are all these morons who have to be on the road at 5:30 PM - oh right, it's me.

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Self-checkouts are great for "sensitive" items such as head lice shampoo (when you have a cart full of itchy kids), or pregnancy tests, or anti-fungal cream. Things you don't want the checker to raise their eyebrows about. I can just imagine a checker going home to her husband and saying, "You'll never guess what I saw Amanda-you remember her, the gal from the radio-buy today at the store!!!" I tried the self-checkout at Haggen once, but I LIKE the checkers there! WalMart is another story...

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Everytime we go to a store and I avoid those self check outs as well. As I am in line, my teenage daughter decides to buy something and goes to one of those. I end up waiting on her as she goes through the FAST LANE because there is always a problem with them.

     
  • At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I actually love the self check outs. It gave me a great sense of accomplishment once I figured out how to ring up my own produce and bulk items-ha! Of course I don't have kids so I'm sure that makes a big difference. I agree with Anna though, the checkers at Haggen are always so nice and friendly, you don't mind going to them. And the ones at Walmart are always grumpy.
    The best time to do your grocery shopping is 7 in the morning, hardly anyone is there and you can zip right through. Of course I'm already up at that time, but I don't think I'd get up that early just to buy groceries!
    Mary Ann

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger NorthWest Coffee Guide said…

    we've missed your posting! we would love to hear how the adoption is going :)

    -kangas family

     

Post a Comment

<< Home