Your Life is not a Dress Rehearsal...

...So go out and live it! This blog exists because I just couldn't stop talking, about things that matter, about things that have eternal value...about things that resonate...

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Traveling Solo

Had a very strange experience...

I traveled withOUT my kids and dearest hubby last weekend.

I had to go to take care of some business in the South with the choir I manage so I was up early on Friday, leaving home at 5 am. Traveling by shuttle to the airport got me there 2 hours prior to my flight. Then...the dreaded words came after a 1 hour delay..."Flight XXX has been canceled" Gotta love it...

I was re-booked on another airline for a flight 3.5 hours later (for those of you keeping score at home...that amounts to 6.5 hours of chill time in the airport.) They lost my bag, of course, and I was without a change of underwear...but something else was strange...

I had no children with me.

Professional business travelers when faced with the above scenario get ticked...some, red hot mad. While traveling with our entire brood, such news would have nearly caused me to stroke...but alone, in the airport....now that was interesting...

I was entirely self-absorbed. I did computer work. Read a book nearly through. Went to the bathroom whenever I needed to. Chose the "restaurant" where I purchased my breakfast and lunch. Cut no one's food up. Completely zoned out for periods of time...looking at nothing....thinking about nothing. Played a computer game on my laptop. It was amazing...

And the joy...no, the peace I experienced during this "disaster" of a traveling day revealed some truth in my life...

When a day stranded in the airport...seems that it is as pleasurable as a day at the spa...

You've got a hectic life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home